Sunday, December 5, 2010
I have an bit of an obsession
well, I have more than one, but this one is so specific and pronounced and few will be surprised. But, I finally figured out what it's about. You see, I have a snowman obsession. . .these are a few on the tree.
These are some around the house. I kept some in storage this year! whoa! Again, I realized why I favor the snowman so much. It's because my best memories with my children growing up have to do with snow. When we moved from southern Florida back to New Jersey the children were ages 5, 3, and 1. That Thanksgiving it snowed enough to build a snowman. I bundled my babies up in snowsuits and boots, hats and mittens and took them to the front door, opened it to the blast of cold air and they all froze in their tracks! At first I thought they really froze. Then I realized they were just terrified. They have never felt anything so cold and wet. They just didn't know what to do. So trying to be a good mom and show them there was nothing to fear I left them inside the front door and I went outside. I started to make the snowman by myself to show them it was fun. Then I threw a snowball at the door and when it hit the glass and make a racket the girls started to cry, but I started to laugh. I finally woke up to the fact that they had NO idea what was happening. So one at a time I brought them outside and taught them about snow. Soon we were making snow angels and snow balls and were having a really great adventure.
Years later we started skiing and skating and snowboarding. Our treks to the White Mountains of New Hampshire remain legendary. We relive them when we want, but I still remember skiing (well, I bunny sloped as Diana went double black diamond skiing) and then sledding down steep hills and hot cocoa and warm fires. Falling dead asleep by 9:00 pm and waking again before 7:00 am to do it all over again. Those were special times and made even more special memories.
So I recognize my obsession, and isn't that the first step to recovery?
You know what? I think I'm just gonna let it be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love the snowmen—they're happy!
ReplyDelete