So we all know by now that Christina Aguilera botched the National Anthem before the entire football watching world, and I can only say I know how she feels. As my darling daughter Alexis reminded me of Facebook of my own humiliating botched singing in front of the congregation at St Peter's church quite a few years ago...it went something like this (cue the church organ)
It was my FIRST cantor experience, but I had practiced, practiced, practiced. I mean, I've been going to Mass since ever! I got this! I could do this in my sleep, right? So I show up for Mass, I've got my music in front of me all in order of the liturgy, and I see Father Richard is our celebrant. Well, I just love the man because he is able to make the gospel relevant and meaningful, and he calls us out on our humanity and challenges us to be the person God meant for us to be....etc, etc. So I feel the butterflies do a cha-cha and NEVER stop UNTIL...
I sing the wrong response. And my favorite pastor/priest says "so people don't think I'm trying to rush out of here, let's try that again". And I am completely humbled in front of my fellow parishioners. I turn my back to the church body, take a deep breath, and do what every ACOA does. I blame it on someone else. I told the people at church it was Father Richard's fault because he makes me so nervous.
At least Christina took responsibility for screwing it up. She's a better man than I, Gunga Din.
Peace be with you, Christina. We only have the rest of our lives to live this down.
Thank goodness our Heavenly Father is more forgiving than our earthly brethren. For all of those critics out there: pray your mistakes are smaller than Aguilera's, and hope that people will be gracious enough to overlook them.
ReplyDelete